I currently offer a Postpartum Stress Support Group (see Flier 2014) every other Saturday morning from 9:30 to 11am. I have run postpartum groups for many years and have seen how powerful it can be when women are in an environment where they feel free to discuss the more difficult feelings and experiences arising after having a baby. Our culture promotes many “myths of motherhood” which contribute to the difficulty women have in discussing their real experiences as mothers.
The group meets every other week for eight sessions. If you are interested in the group, we will meet once so that you can get a sense of me and hear more about the group, and we can determine if it is likely to be a good fit for you. If you would like to join, I ask for you to commit to the eight week cycle. This continuity supports feelings of safety in the group as women get to know each other and connect during a vulnerable life transition.
In each group, I will provide information about a particular topic that tends to be a component of postpartum stress. There will be time to check in about this theme as well as to bring in what is currently most important for you. Women do not bring their children to this group as it is designed to be a time for you to focus on yourself, your experience and your needs outside of the tasks of childcare.
There might be slight changes, but these are the basic topics which will be explored.
- Mothering the New Mother – responding to emotional needs in the postpartum period
- Postpartum Depression, Anxiety and Overwhelm – understanding your experience
- Fostering Emotional Connections and Attachment with your Baby
- The Shadow Side of Motherhood – what we don’t talk about
- Challenging the “Myths of Motherhood” – being a good enough mother
- Frustration, Anger and Irritability (at ourselves, partners and/or children)
- Couples Care – maintaining connection and intimacy after the baby is born
- Looking Back – our fears and hopes as mothers in relation to how we were mothered
The fee for each group is $45. I also charge this fee for our initial one on one meeting/assessment. I ask that you pay for the initial four sessions at the first group meeting with the second payment due at the 5th meeting. If you need an alternative payment plan, we can discuss that together.